Members of United Stateless and allies gathered for the third time at the UNHCR conference room in Washington DC for a special planning retreat. The objectives of the meeting were as follows:
1. Review outcomes of our March retreat, assess and celebrate progress!
2. Finalize communications messages and practice delivery
3. Learn new advocacy skills
4. Further develop and define our goals, advocacy campaigns and projects (Municipal ID, Stateless in Detention, etc)
5. Create space and learn models for peer support and self-care
6. Agree on how to move forward with organization (fiscal sponsor or 501 (c3), look ahead to 2019 and identify resources and potential budget needs
The event was also documented, with a page coming soon to display photos and videos collected during the convening, as well as more detailed report of our meeting and work.
There is something truly special taking place. A synergy, a focused movement forward, and a new kind of clarity of purpose. Our group is slowly growing in numbers, each person's story offering unique perspective and new questions to explore. So much gratitude to UNHCR for facilitating, and hosting us. Looking forward to the future with hope.